Wongawilli Colonial Dance Club has been presenting bush dances, festivals and concerts promoting Australian folk music and dance since 1987. Dances have also been presented with international artists and folk dance themes in the interest of social dancing!
Current events include:
- Weekly Bush Dance at Wongawilli Community Hall, Wednesdays 8pm. The evening generally includes 10 bush dances which are all called and walked through. Novice dancers and musicians are invited to participate. Sheet music is provided for musicians. Click here for more information
- Theme folk dances from around the world at the Wednesday weekly dances.
- Christmas with Wongawilli dinner dance, last Saturday before Christmas Click here for more information
- International Guest Artists at the Wednesday dance. Artists have included
- Sandy Brechin & Burach (Scotland)
- Karen Tweed (UK) and Faerd (Den/Swe/Fin)
- Felpeyu (Asturias, Spain)
- Seamus Begley and Jim Murray (Ireland)
- Jeppokrydonna (all girl band from Finland)
- Emily Smith Band (Scotland)
- Fanch and Jean-Pierre (Brittany, France)
- The Mammals (USA)
- Genticorum (Quebec, Canada)
- April Verch Band (Ontario, Canada)
- Alan Kelly Band (Galway, Ireland)
- Swinging Fiddles (Shetland Islands, Scotland)
- Østjydske Folkedansere (Denmark)
- London Klezmer Quartet (UK)
- Alistair Brown (UK)
- Josefina Paulsson (Sweden)
- Kalascima (Italy)
In the past the Club has presented:
- Australian Folk Festival in Kiama - from 1996 to 2000
- Australian Folk Music and Dance Gathering in Albion Park - from 2001 to 2003
- Folk Alliance Australia Convention in 2000
- Bush Music by The Seaside, Kiama
- The Wongawilli Colonial Dance Club Inc., the Kiama Seaside Festival and Kiama & Districts Chamber of Commerce used to provide this event as part of the Kiama Seaside Festival.
- The first was held in 1993 and included a huge display of Australian bush dancing with over 100 participants.
- The Club would organise the Saturday night bush dance with a band of over 30 musicians.The last Bush Music by the Seaside was in 1998.
- Collected Music Days, were held in Binda, Binalong from 1992 to 1995